Sunday 19 January 2014

Soup-er Sunday....Spicy Mexican Soup Recipe



I know it doesn't look all that appealing, and I've yet to get the hang of photographing food, but I made this spicy Mexican soup today and it was delicious! I like to cook something big and hearty on Sundays. I don't usually make a roast but I do like to make a huge soup or stew to keep me going for a couple of days. Also, it was pretty healthy till I added the Dorito's and the cream cheese ;)

Stuff you need:


  • Bell peppers (I used one red, one green and one yellow because I like to make it look colourful.)
  • 2 large red onions
  • 3 large cloves of garlic
  • 3 large fresh tomatoes (optional)
  • 4-5 green chilies depending on heat preference.
  • Taco seasoning (bit of a cheat, I used Discovery brand)
  • One teaspoon of cumin (optional.)
  • Coriander
  • 1 small tin of sweetcorn
  • 1 carton of kidney beans
  • 1 jar of jalapeno peppers.
  • 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
  • One cube of Chicken stock added to 500ml of boiling water
  • Cream cheese
  • Lime (optional)
  • Doritos 
Directions

  1. Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add the chopped red onion, minced garlic cloves and green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the bell peppers and chopped fresh tomatoes and continue to fry for another 5-7 minutes until softened.
  2. Stir in the teaspoon of cumin, teaspoon of coriander and one tablespoon or so of the taco seasoning. 
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes and the chicken stock. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
  4. Add the drained kidney beans, sweetcorn, some jalapenos and a small slice of lime, cover and cook for a further 10 minutes on a low heat.
  5. Taste to see whether soup requires any more seasoning, add another teaspoon or two if it doesn't taste seasoned enough. 
  6. Simmer with lid off for ten more minutes.
  7. Stir a heaped tablespoon of cream cheese into the soup, this will thicken it up and make it taste devine. Add black pepper and coriander to taste.
  8. Serve in a bowl with a tablespoon of cream cheese and some crushed Cool Original Doritos.
  9. Have a taste-gasm.
I'm going to eat another serving now, I don't think it'll last me a few days after all...






No comments:

Post a Comment